The NAVICULA debuted in 2017 as a new line of architectural feature lighting with a unique undulating form - very different than the pendant drop lights, for which David Trubridge is well known. A continuation of Trubridge’s commitment to sustainable materials and production techniques, the NAVICULA further highlights environmental issues that are central to David’s work.
In 1981, David Trubridge and his young family sold all of their possessions, bought a yacht and set off on an open-ended adventure. As Trubridge describes it: “Water flows. Water is movement. Its restless surface is forever changing.” It is this spirit which is seen in NAVICULA.
The inspiration for the Navicula is microscopic diatoms. Diatoms are at the base of the entire oceanic food chain. They take more carbon out of the atmosphere than anything else ¬ more than all the world’s tropical rainforests. Through photosynthesis they liberate enough oxygen for our every fifth breath. And almost as a bonus they are stunningly beautiful.
The thin curved pieces of CNC-cut bamboo plywood create a flowing structure that also casts magical patterns. It is lit from within with a row of LED pin-point lights.
• Available in 3 sizes ranging from 57” to 98” long
• Natural Bamboo Plywood (birch color)
• Fixture ships fully assembled
• Standard cord length is 15’
• Lamped with an LED strip that runs along its “spine”
• ETL Listed
• 110V driver is standard – 277V available
• Hung via two suspension wires
• All bamboo lights are intended for use in dry interior conditions only